Sunday, October 08, 2006

Thanksgiving


So..this is my first Thanksgiving away from home. Actually, I thought Thanksgiving was next weekend, so when I talked to my mom on the phone yesterday morning and found out, I was pretty surprised - I hadn't planned on being depressed about it yet! But it came alot sooner than I expected, and it kinda really sucks. It's bad enough being away from family, but being in another country that doesn't even care that you have Thanksgiving back home makes it even harder. But it's okay... it could be worse!


It was an alright day; it kinda started out pretty lame when I missed my ride to church, but then I got to go to another church with some good friends, and I kinda enjoyed doing the different atmosphere thing, enjoying a different church, and I got to do it with a bunch of friends so that was cool.


Then we came back to school, and ate lunch, and then I went to my room, cleaned up a whole ton (like crazy stuff - I rearranged my shoes, arranged my closet clothes and refolded all my clothes in my drawer - yes I was a little depressed! haha), and then made the mistake of looking at the letters my family sent in the care package I got a couple days ago. I definitely let myself cry, but only for a couple of seconds. Then I put a load of laundry in, put on my most comfy sweater, basketball shorts, and took an hour long nap. Then got up to check my mail and ended up talking to Melanie, Janaine's mom for like 2 hours. It was good.. she made me laugh alot and then I felt a little better. Then I got my laundry, folded it and called up my only other Canadian buddy on campus.


We talked on the phone for like an hour, talking about home and Canada and Tim Hortons of course, and wondered for a long time how we were going to get to eat out, because we can't go off campus with just the two of us. Finally, good old Jon Greenacre got back from work, and we offered to pay for his meal if he would go with us, and what college kid in their right mind turns down a free meal? So we headed off to Perkins. I ordered the turkey dinner. *tear* I was pretty sad when it came out, because it tasted pretty good, and it reminded me of home so much. But Stephen and Jon got talking about lots of stuff, and they made me feel a lot better, and we just had a really good time sitting there eating and having good conversation. I really felt a lot better by the time we left (except for my stomach.. I stuffed it tonite! I had a turkey dinner AND pie!) Then we went to Walmart to walk it off a bit, and Jon let me drive his car back to the school when we left (it's a stick shift, so it was great.)


Now I'm back at school, and I just want to catch up on a bit of reading, and go to bed early and get ready for tomorrow and not even think about it being Thanskgiving. I celebrated it (well as much as I could being depressed) today, and I got most of it out of my system, so I think I will be okay now.


Sometimes I dont like growing up very much...


Sarah
ps. the pic i have to thank from this guy - www.flickr.com/photos/miir
amazing photos!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!

Just a little *huggles* from me cause I am sad that you were sad about missing Thanksgiving! :(

I kinda' missed it cause I was sick so didn't even get to go for Thanksgiving dinner. That made me sad enough so I can't imagine not being home. :( So *huggles* again!!!!

Miss ya'! (you gotta' come visit me and see my new apartment girl! :))

Lori

Anonymous said...

glad you like my photos, thanks for the compliment.

Mike Irwin